Saturday, January 31, 2009

Getting Cultural

We have started learning Chinese! I checked out Play and Learn Chinese with Mei Mei from our library. It is a DVD, 45 minutes long. I put it on while I'm doing house work, and listen as the children count, learn body parts, play games and sing songs. It's really quite easy and fun! I can say hi, bye, count to ten, I love you, mom, dad, grandma, grandpa, and I know the word for bottom (not sure why that's the only body part I've caught onto). I didn't know Chinese was so tonal - it's kind of hard to catch.
Koen loves watching the video and begs for it. He's watched it at least twice a day for the last three days. I know that's a lot of time in front of the TV, but it's hard to say no when it's so educational! I'm not sure why he likes it so much. He can say hi in Chinese, and every now and then will copy something they say. Yesterday he pointed to his neck and said the Chinese word for it. He's brilliant!

One thing we learned from the video too, is that we've been saying our daughter's nickname, Mei Mei, wrong. We've been pronouncing it "My My", but it is actually pronounced "May May." Oh well, it's too stuck to change the way we say it now!


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

We would like to nominate you for a FreedomToBlog.com Best of Blog Entry.

Please visit our site at: http://www.freedomtoblog.com to submit your blog entry!

Benefits include:
1) Permanent Backlinks to your blog
2) Fully SEO optimized for maximum exposure
3) A chance to be published into a top 500 best of blog book&qu


Visitor Map