Sunday, August 12, 2007

*What Are We Doing?

I got this news story from another blogger's post. It is about Angelina Jolie's recent adoption of her son, Pax, from Vietnam- from the orphanage's perspective. I feel a little sorry that they share so much of the boy's personal info with the world, but I guess that comes with the family. Here's the website: The Tale of Angelina's New Son

I am beginning to realize that we are setting ourselves up for quite an emotional roller coaster ride. I guess I knew this process wouldn't be easy, but as I read more people's adoption blogs, I know I am only getting a glimpse of the struggles they went through in the wait. One family had already committed to adopt a boy when the orphanage arranged for him to have surgery before he was officially adopted. While it all ended up well, I can't imagine the worry that family felt as their son had to go through surgery on his own. They wanted to be there so badly.

While you wait to travel to get your child, you have no say in their lives - you can't send them gifts, or vitamins, dictate what medical treatment they receive.......be sure they are well cared for. I've also read of families hearing that their assigned child has passed away several months after they've gotten attached to the pictures of their child. How do you grieve for a child that was yours, but you never held? I can't imagine, and I pray we don't have to go through such things.

Other families that started the process several years ago in Vietnam, had to wait a couple years for their child. They received the picture and information, were told they would travel to pick him or her up soon, and then the country closed in order to revamp the whole adoption process. Instead of picking up their child at 9 months, they had to wait until they were 2 and a half! To know who your child is, know they need you, but not be able to go get them!!!

Rarely does an adoption go 100% smoothly and as planned - especially when involving a communist nation.

So, you can pray that the Lord prepares us for the road ahead, and gives us an amazing amount of patience and faith. This process will be completely out of our control very soon.

1 comments:

Momma Dana said...

Just finished reading your blog. Loved to hear your story as it is so similar to ours. Look forward to seeing how God will lead you. Since we live in Bellevue, I'd love to get together if you'd like. You have my email address :) Take care and God bless!!!! And trust me, every step of this process is hand-delivered from Heaven itself. To look back is to see the most intimate story of love told by the Creator Himself.


Visitor Map